Become a Member of the Institute
Membership of the New Zealand Institute of Building Surveyors Inc. (NZIBS) is open to anyone who is studying in the construction industry, or holders of, professional construction industry qualifications in fields such as Building Surveying, Architecture, Engineering, Quantity Surveying, Construction Management, Building Sciences etc.
Membership is also open to those with a significant degree of experience in the construction industry and in Building Surveying without necessarily having formal professional qualifications.
The New Zealand Institute of Building Surveyors Inc. has one class of full membership – Registered Membership – which entitles the holder to call themselves a Registered Building Surveyor.
Regulation 01 provides details of the process applicants must go through to achieve and retain Registered Membership status.
There are two earlier stages that may lead to Registered Membership, these stages are;
Registered Membership is for those Members who actively practice as Building Surveyors in New Zealand and have satisfied the Institute that they meet the criteria for Registered Membership by completing the assessment of professional competence process.
There are two preliminary stages that applicants may go though to achieve Registered Membership status – Student Membership and Transitional Membership.
At the end of a Member’s working life as a Building Surveyor, Members can choose to become a Retired Member. Alternatively for Members that have made a significant contribution to the Institute over their working life, the Member can be nominated as a Life Member, which may be endorsed by the general membership.
Membership Entry Pathway
Download the 2017 New Membership Application Form
Membership Subscription, per year (1 July – 30 June)
- Student Membership – no charge*
- Transitional Membership – $550.00 + GST
- Registered Membership – $800.00 + GST
- Retired Members – 10% of the registered membership + GST
* Conditions apply.
Regulation 01 Membership
Regulation 02 Code of Ethics
Regulation 03 Disciplinary Procedures
Regulation 04 Annual Membership Requirements
Regulation 11 The Roles of a Building Surveyor
Regulation 13 Social Media
Membership application intake 2017:
Membership applications are due in on the 1st of the month, prior to the below interview dates. For example; all membership applications along with supporting information are due in on the 1st of May, to be considered for membership and an interview (if applicable), as outlined below. From receipt of your application and supporting information, there are several stages to work through prior to being invited in for an interview. For further information please call: 0800 11 34 00, option 4.
Membership interview 2017 dates:
- Wednesday 24 May 2017 – Christchurch
- Thursday 25 May 2017 – Auckland
- Wednesday 23 August 2017 – Christchurch
- Thursday 24 August 2017 – Auckland
- Wednesday 15 November 2017 – Christchurch
- Thursday 16 November 2017 – Auckland
- In Wellington anytime, by appointment
Interviews are conducted in Auckland and Christchurch, with Wellington being subject to demand and availability of the Membership Sub Committee panel.
All membership applications are vetted and are submitted through to the NZIBS Executive Membership Panel Committee for review. Once the review has been completed by the Membership Committee notification will be given to the applicant that approval has been given and they will be invited in for an interview. Contact details are below. Before contacting us, please take a few minutes to consider the following 12 questions:
1. Are you currently working as, or have experience as a building surveyor?
2. Are you a member of another construction industry professional body, e.g. RICS, NZIQS, NZIA
3. Do you have a construction related university degree?
4. Do you have a non-construction related university degree?
5. Do you have a construction related trade qualification, e.g. trade certificate?
6. Do you have construction industry experience?
7. Do you know a practicing registered building surveyor?
8. Are you computer literate, with good English language skills?
9. Are you currently studying for a construction related qualification or degree?
10. Do you have secondary education (school) qualifications?
11. Do you have a clean record? (never been declared bankrupt or convicted of a criminal offence)?
12. Are you legally able to work in New Zealand?
If you have answered yes to six or more of the above questions, you may be ready to apply for membership to the NZIBS.
If you have any membership questions or wish to talk through NZIBS Membership options, please contact Sally Dunbar, General Manager, Ph: 021 432 711 or 0800 11 34 00, option 4. E: